Spring is here and everything is blooming. The warm weather is on the way and the sun is out longer (thank you day light savings). This means us and our pets will be spending more time outside in the environment.

There are several different things that are outside that your pet should probably not ingest for one and/or run into. This list is not exhaustive but will address some of the more likely issues.

With spring normally in Florida comes the rain. When it rains a lot, we tend to have a lot of mushrooms in the yard. Many of different shapes and colors. These are pretty to look at but are not so pretty when your dog ingests them. These little wonders normally cause gastrointestinal upset with diarrhea and vomiting. If this persist longer than a few hours, you should call for an appointment.

The Sago Palms are blooming as well. These wonderful plants are gorgeous to look at, but the palms and seeds are not good for the liver. These normally cause issues with the liver. These can be very toxic, if you do not notice your pet eating them or the signs that come along with them such as vomiting and diarrhea.

Lilies are another beautiful plant with flowers. These flowers when eaten by your cat will cause vomiting and gastrointestinal issues as well. Call for an appointment if you notice these signs from your cat.

Loco weed is another ornamental plant that blooms with gorgeous flowers and greenery. The plant itself is toxic to dogs, cats, cattle, and horses. It causes them to appear like they are drunk, becoming very ataxic. This also affects the liver as well. If you see any of the signs or symptoms, please call for an appointment.

There are many other plants that are toxic to your animal for a complete list please visit https://www.gardendesign.com/plants/poisonous-dogs-cats.html