The Importance of Spaying and Neutering
Whether you have a kitten, puppy, or a recently adopted pet, it is essential to make sure he or she is spayed or neutered. Veterinarians recommend having your pet spayed or neutered as a safe and effective way of eliminating negative habits and promoting a long and healthy life for your pet. Our team at Marietta Animal Hospital in Jacksonville is here to help your pet throughout the process.
What Is Spaying or Neutering?
Spaying (for females) or neutering (for males) means removing all or part of an animal’s reproductive organs. This can be performed as a routine surgery or laparoscopically at our clinic. In females, this means removing the ovaries as well. Spayed females will also not go into heat and attract unwanted males.
When to Neuter or Spay
Neutering or spaying your pet early on is the best way to get the maximum benefit. That means before the pet has gone through her first heat cycle. Pets can be neutered or spayed as young as 8 weeks old, but before 5 months of age is recommended. However, larger breeds may need to wait longer to develop before properly being spayed or neutered. It is important to consult our staff to find the best time for your pet to have the surgery.
Benefits of Spay and Neuter Surgery
- Reduced risk of cancer – Spaying can reduce the risk of breast tumors, uterus infections, prostate cancer, and ovarian cancer.
- Prevent the pet from going into heat – when a female goes into heat; they often urinate frequently and indiscriminately on floors and furniture. A heat cycle is 4-5 days every three weeks.
- Marking territory – Pets often mark their territory by urinating. This can be very smelly, particularly when it is inside the home. Neutering can help eliminate the problem.
- Eliminate wandering behavior – As pets develop, they can wander around the neighborhood looking for someone to mate with. When they roam, pets can get lost, hurt, or bother others.
- Controlling the pet population – Pets are abandoned at shelters every day. There are not enough homes for the 6.5 million animals found every year. Spaying or neutering can help diminish that number.
Contact Us for Treatment from Our Veterinarian in Jacksonville
If you need your pet spayed or neutered, contact us at Marietta Animal Hospital. Our team will perform a complete exam to get your pet prepared for the procedure. We are committed to providing the highest quality of care for pets in Jacksonville and the surrounding areas. Give us a call today to see how our veterinarian can help you and your animal.